Thursday, January 2, 2020

With Sympathy


This verse comes from one of my all-time favorite sympathy cards:

“Comfort
Tears
Strength
Calm
Peace
All things in your own time.”
[by an anonymous writer for Hallmark Cards, Inc.]

Another favorite of mine is this one:

“Things I don’t know …
Why bad things happen to good people.
All you’re feeling right now.
Exactly the right words to say.

Things I do know …
You’re cared about more than you realize.
You will get through this.
I’m here for you … no matter what.”
[By another Hallmark, Inc. writer.]

I bought these cards because they meant so much to me when I was dealing with the death of my mother, nine years ago. They touched me so deeply because I believe they embodied the lessons I learned from the grief recovery group I joined soon after my mother’s death. I set them aside to come back to every now and then.

This time when I came across them, I decided to part with the one that might help out a neighbor with the passing of her husband. I will rely on these words to offer comfort and the knowledge that things will improve with time. Or at least change toward a new reality. It’s a journey we all take in our own way.

For Donald Lee Learn.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely words, Mary. My sympathy on the loss of this friend.

    ReplyDelete