Friday, January 17, 2020

Life After Iron Pen


I won a first place, and a nice medal, for my non-fiction Iron Pen entry in 2010. It was a nice little tale about winter walking in Bishop Hill. That got me hooked and I’ve returned to Iron Pen’s twenty-four hours of creative challenge almost every year since then. My first place for fiction came in 2012 with a story about a writer’s critique group going seriously off the rails. It was fun to personify that year’s prompt in the chaotic chorus of writers offering advice for a newbie. I threw in everything I’d learned about the craft of writing up to that point. I’d also been influenced by Genesius Guild productions and some one act plays I’d recently seen. According to the judge’s comments I had heavy competition and got the first, and the nifty medal, because I had written about “writing.”

Fast forward to January of this year. I was attending a meeting of Second Avenue Players, a senior acting group that meets at CASI, discussing how to interact with a bunch of Augie students. Plays were needed to show them how our group works. Larry D’Autremont, our resident playwright, was reminiscing about his time with Genesius Guild. Something about that conversation stuck with me. It took some time, how long I will not say, but I was finally reminded of that Iron Pen piece from long ago. How it too was inspired by Genesis performers and how I might turn my short story into the real thing, a fully functioning play, because the need was immediate. Twenty to thirty college students would be on hand in a week’s time and they needed to participate. There’s nothing like a crisis to spur one into action.

My memory was not accurate enough to make my recovery search too easy, but I found my 2012 entry, all 860 words of it. From there I had an enjoyable evening expanding six POVs, points of view, into ten speaking parts. Formatting was not done exactly to industry standards, but I was in a hurry. I needed easy and simple. The next morning, I came back to make things as gender neutral as I could for the actors. Adding flexibility to ease and simplicity seemed like the best way to go. There would be scant time to rehearse. Less time to stage. But in the end, I would have my first play performed by real people. It made for an exciting week waiting to see who would show up. A bonus came my way when a novel idea on how to use this bit of old Iron Pen history in another situation came to me. How practical it would be had to wait until I saw the end results of the first adventure in beginning playacting by amateurs.





IRON PEN CONTEST FOR 2020
PROMPT ARRIVES BY EMAIL AT 5:00 PM ON FRIDAY, FEB. 21st.

WRITERS HAVE 24 HOURS.

ENTRIES HAVE TO BE IN AT 5:00 PM ON SATURDAY, FEB. 22nd.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, COST, AND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO ENTER GO TO:


No comments:

Post a Comment