Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Enjoy Mysteries?

 

Second Avenue Players present:

My Monster vs Your Monster

By Mary R. Davidsaver

Friday, Oct. 4th at 11:00 AM

CASI, 1035 W. Kimberly Rd, Davenport, IA

 

A little background for this play:

When I started working on my first novel, I knew nothing of writing on a large scale, that being more than 600 words. Nowhere near what was needed for a novel. I only knew it had to be a mystery.

Both things, delivering 70,000 coherent words and crafting an understandable mystery, presented learning experiences for me.

When I moved to the Quad-Cities in 2011, I signed up for Fall novel writing workshop with the Midwest Writing Center. It was a great experience, well worth the time and expense.

Afterwards, I was encouraged to join a writers’ group and tried out several local groups. (I’ve been with Writers’ Studio the longest.)

Fast forward to late February 2012 and MWC’s annual Iron Pen Contest, which is a 24-hr. writing challenge based on a prompt.

I went with the Fiction category and threw in everything I’d learned up to that point about the workings of the mystery genre, writers’ critique groups, plus a big dose of humor, and I won a first-place medal. It became the basis for a one-act play for the readers theatre group that makes its home at CASI.

 

Introducing our cast members for Friday's performance:

Mark Davidsaver as Marvin (Marv), a horror writer and Zombiephile.

Myrna State as Lois, a retired teacher hoping to write a memoir.

Larry D’Autremont as Harold, the beleaguered group leader.

Cindy Irwin as Beth, the newest member of the group.

Bev Dean as Sally, Beth’s friend and fellow writer.

Katie Britcher as a poet looking to expand her writing.

Jane Cranston as Georgette, a romance writer looking for a little love in everything.

The play begins as everyone has returned from a break …

Do come and enjoy!

Did I mention it’s FREE?!


No comments:

Post a Comment