Sunday, September 22, 2024

Monarch Summary 2024

 

The butterfly season here in suburban Davenport, IA had a rocky start. I only found a handful of eggs and had limited success with raising adults. I released two adults in mid-July.

A long dry spell of seeing no Monarchs at all followed. No fertile females from May through most of July. Then in late July there was one female who gifted my small island of milkweed, garden and potted milkweed plants, with 31 eggs. I marked the precious leaves by clipping the tips. The next day I gathered 29 eggs. The missing eggs disappeared overnight. Of those 29 surviving eggs, I got 27 hatchlings.

Last year I found using floral tubes was the best way to handle large numbers of small caterpillars all at once. Worked for me this year as well.

Along with a shortage of Monarch eggs, I had to deal with a shortage of milkweed leaves. It was difficult, but I managed with a few donated plants and discovered that frozen milkweed leaves can be used when there are many hungry mouths to feed late-stage caterpillars. I was able to release 18 adults Aug 24-25.

Because of travel plans I asked a friend and fellow Monarch foster mom to tend to the last 9 chrysalises. They all made it. I then found 3 small late caterpillars and my friend took those in to feed and care for as well. They were all released by Sept 20th. So, this year's total for me was 32 adults. That number pales compared to the 85 adults I released in 2023.


No comments:

Post a Comment