Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Bouchercon Silent Auction 2024

 

    My Bishop Hill food-themed collection for the Bouchercon Silent Auction uses items that go along with my Bishop Hill Mystery books, well sort of, I must be honest; the t-shirt came first.

    I could not resist the “just here for THE PIE” sentiment because the Bishop Hill Pie Diet was a real thing for my friends and family.

    At one time there were five restaurants in Bishop Hill, and we could count on five variations on Swedish meatballs and rhubarb pie. It was difficult being a shopkeeper on a slow day and staying sharp until the 5pm closing time. Back then when 3pm came around the debate would start with “Where to today?” The Bishop Hill tea rooms stayed open after the lunch crowd left just for that mid-afternoon rush.

    To go with the t-shirt, I chose a handmade basket by Lori Keller Morrissey and began looking for foodie items that would represent the past and present Bishop Hill.

    Bishop Hill began as a communal society in Henry County, Illinois in 1846. Those Swedish immigrants, like German immigrants, liked their beer. Both groups had problems with prohibition. I know that the Swedes made near beer and probably kept the harder stuff on hand for medicinal purposes.

    I included the VASA Cook Book, 1981, for its historical importance. I checked it and found no recipe for near beer. Yes, for Swedish egg coffee and for a couple of drinkable somethings that were yogurt based. It was simply and disappointingly lacking in pie recipes.

    I did find Gevalia coffee and Ligonberries for the basket. That was a victory.

    But still, we newer pioneers will always love our Bishop Hill Pie Diet and will, sadly, make do with whatever is at hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment