Sunday, July 14, 2024

Writer’s Studio Word Challenge for 7/20/2024

 Writer’s Studio Word Challenge for 7/20/2024

Use these words: Peak, Garden, Ecstatic, Plethora, Resemble, Inconsolable, Pistachio

 

I’m a Monarch Foster Mom

     It’s the middle of July and not the peak of the Monarch butterflies’ journey south, that comes in another month. I’m patiently awaiting the release of my first adult Monarch butterfly, hopefully by next weekend. This year’s garden has yielded few eggs and fewer caterpillars. I’ve looked at my records and found that by this time in July in past years I had the following results:

2019-three released. 2020-ten released. 2021-four released. 2022-none.

2023-seventeen released and headed for a personal best of 85. That resembles a victory to me.

     In 2021 my notes indicate I was losing a lot of caterpillars. I felt discouraged and practically inconsolable. Fortunately, I found help online. The possible culprits were the eggs of parasitic flies and wasps.  Plus, infections from OE, Ophryocystis elektroscirrha, a protozoan parasite that leaves the butterflies weak, deformed, and flightless.

     My 2022 caterpillar season was shortened because of travel plans. Hardly any reason to feel ecstatic.

     Then came 2023. I put into action all of my newfound knowledge and was rewarded with a plethora of chrysalises, that final stage where the miracle of metamorphosis occurs. I love the delicate pistachio green color that hides all the action of transformation until that final moment when all is revealed. The green color fades out to a clear window filled with orange and black. Cracks slowly appear before the case abruptly splits open. A podgy body with a wrinkled mass of wings somersaults out, hangs by spindly legs, and begins the twists and turns that will inflate the wings with fluid stored in the abdomen. First flight doesn’t happen until the filled-out wings dry and harden. Then it’s off they go. Out of my life. Missed, but not forgotten. They are wild things after all.

     The odds are against each and every one from the moment the egg is laid. I hope that by adding to the migration numbers my efforts might improve the odds that some will make the journey, survive till next spring, and begin the cycle all over again. Since 2019 I’ve nurtured 256 caterpillars to adulthood in my little bit of suburbia. Will one of mine make it? I can only hope so.

 

 

Check out:

https://monarchwatch.org/

For guidance and help:

Monarch Butterfly Life <questions@monarchbutterflygarden.net>


No comments:

Post a Comment