Friday, January 13, 2017

Thank You

I was the fortunate beneficiary of some amazing help during my book launch weekends last September. I can’t get over how lucky I’ve been.

First, Martha Downey, state site superintendent, invited me into the Bishop Hill museum. Whenever I mentioned it I always had a few people in total denial. If not an absolute first for a book launch, then surely a rare event.

Second, one of my BH pals held an open house event and invited me and my book to be a part. The other member of our trio showed up to help out. Pals like that can only be treasured.

Thirdly, the MWC Press held a release party upstairs at Bucktown Center for the Arts in Davenport, Iowa. They provided the space and the basics, but it was my turn to add the embellishments. I brought real Swedish coffee I’d purchased at the BH Colony Store, real cream, wine, and Swedish visiting cake. (A former BH neighbor made the almond-topped cake for me years ago and I was so glad to have finally located the recipe.)

Important note here: I didn’t bring Swedish meatballs. Specifically, I didn’t bring my mother-in-laws Swedish meatballs.

I’ve been promising meatballs for my book launch for some time and fully intended to fulfill my promise. I’d practiced making them … once. Actually, I practiced making the sauce … once.

Instead of making each little meatball by hand, I went looking for frozen Swedish meatballs. Surprisingly difficult as it turned out. I only found them in Fareway’s freezers.

Clearly, I wasn’t applying myself to this task.

When I thought about how to get my homemade meatballs to BH I relented, the logistics where too daunting. I inquired at the PL Johnson’s. PL’s has some excellent meatballs and they were gluten free to boot. But again, the logistics seemed to be more than I could handle.

So, sadly, no meatballs.

I compensated for no physical meatballs by adding an envelope with my mother-in-law’s recipe nicely printed out and a jar of the secret ingredient for the sauce to the items I collected for drawing prizes. Not a secret any longer. It’s instant coffee. About which my brother-in-law has often said, “That’s just plain wrong.”

I say it is chocolate-like and why not add it to a sauce. I’ve had Molé sauce in Mexican restaurants. Close enough.

So, I am beginning my New Year with a brief visit to the best times of last year and offering another THANK YOU to good friends and new readers I’ve met along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment