Friday, August 29, 2014

Butterflies & Writing Opportunities

I’ve had Monarch butterflies on the brain since last April when I read about their decline in several local print articles. People were encouraged to plant waystations that contained nectar sources and host plants for that species. The timing was perfect for me and I got on board.

The point I want to make—not only did I plant my new flower bed with the needed plants—I wrote about it.

I began with a letter to the editor that expressed my appreciation for the original news item and told how it influenced me. I took time to make sure it was concise and as grammatically correct as I could manage, and then sent it off.

Not such a big thing. But remember: this was writing practice.

Things that get printed in the newspapers, like press releases for clubs or organizations, get noticed and can potentially lead to bigger things. The best outcome would be the feature article. Newspaper editors love a story written in a timeless fashion. They are important for filling in empty spaces. Becoming one of an editor’s reliable sources would never be a bad thing.

All this was part of my progression: I got my writing out there and seen by more people; by working with an editor, I developed useful skills for the writing craft; and I built a resume.

Then there’s the nice little ego boost of seeing your name as a byline in print.

It’s all good.

2 comments:

  1. The article I wrote about my Monarch waystation couldn't be squeezed into the Radish magazine, but they are looking to put it into an upcoming Home section for the Dispatch/Argus. Yeah! Hope it encourages others to have the same fun experience I had this year. Now is the time to look for seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look for my Monarch waystation success story in the At Home section of the Sunday Dispatch/Argus. Can't wait to see which caterpillar photo(s) were used. I swear, it was way too much fun. And my Sleepy Hollow Haven waystation was registered as #9114.

    ReplyDelete