Friday, August 25, 2017

My Three Minute Speed Pitch for Killer Nashville

I’m Mary Davidsaver. I built my first cozy mystery, Clouds Over Bishop Hill, around a fictionalized version of Bishop Hill, a former communal society and an Illinois state historic site. I gave Shelley Anderson, my protagonist and New Adult, a mission: Find a long, lost painting. I did my best to make her journey a difficult but maturing experience.

My sequel, Buried Treasure, begins with a body in a cemetery—the one body that’s NOT supposed to be there. Shelley gets involved when the prime suspect is a former boyfriend and the future fiancé of Marsha Ellen: her cousin, best friend, and college roommate. It’s complicated. And becomes more complicated when Shelley receives some SHOCKING news.

To which she says, “Whoa, back up to the part where I can’t be a bridesmaid at your wedding.”

That turns out to be a pivotal point. The rest of the book explores just why Shelley would make the most unsuitable bridesmaid.


Add a cat food commercial and Bishop Hill is ready for the Hallmark Channel.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I did it. I stood in front of the mic and read, which probably lessened the impact, but I was under the pressure of a first-timer and the time constraint. Turns out, a lot of those scheduled for a pitch were no-shows. I might not have understood the directions. Still, I was playing for laughs from a very tough crowd. A crowd that would rather talk among themselves than listen. Talked to one woman who was in the back and no she couldn't hear me. She couldn't hear those who actually shouted either. Still got my name out there. So ... it was an almost good idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I might have added something about her solving the mystery. As my grandmother used say, "Oh, well." (It can be said with or without the sigh.)

    ReplyDelete