Friday, October 16, 2015

Not About Jansson

A reader asked questions about Erik Jansson. She thought I should add more info about him. Background stuff I suppose. Place him in the context of my story a little better.

It took a couple of days of rumination but the answer is no, I only want the bare minimum of info about Jansson.

He’s important to the founding of Bishop Hill.
He’s important to, well, the mystery of my mystery.
He’s not what the book is about.

My book is about descendants of the original Colonists and the choices they have to make about staying in Bishop Hill, how they preserve what remains of the Colony, and how they relate to their heritage.

My book is not a history lesson. Others are far better qualified than I and have done excellent jobs of recording the real story of Jansson, the Swedish immigration, and Bishop Hill.

My work is fiction. I’ve used the few facts I know about Erik Jansson and Olof Krans fictitiously.

Specifically, I have created a coming-of-age story about one young descendant in particular. She is faced with a mystery about a Krans painting, which may or may not exist. She has obstacles, both personal and professional, to deal with. At age twenty-two, she’s a “new adult” who has to make some adult decisions.

So, I will reread my manuscript and see what I can do, but I don’t intend to put in any more info on Jansson than what suits my purpose.

I’ll acknowledge right now that it probably won’t be enough for some people. Great. Those who want to learn more, and I encourage learning more, are free to continue their journey to Bishop Hill, either by further reading or an actual visit. There’s a lot out there and many people who will help you along your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment